Bhutan: Trekking Remote Merak and Sakteng
This very special trek combines touring in the western Bhutanese cities of Paro and Thimphu, with trekking in remote Merak and Sakteng, home to some of Bhutan’s most colorful nomads. Unique to this trip is the time spent in the villages. Instead of rushing through, like so many treks, this program gives you an extra day in Merak and much time in Sakteng to get to know the people and their lifestyle.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $5999.00 per person (based on 3-10 people)
Dates: Saturday, March 7, 2015 - Tuesday, March 24, 2015 and Friday, October 16, 2015 - Monday, November 2, 201
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Delhi. Overnight near the airport in the airport hotel.|
|Day 2||Fly Delhi to Guwahati on Go Air (0535/0800). Met on arrival and stop for breakfast. Then drive to Samdrup Jongkhar, stopping at the border to clear customs.|
|Day 3||Drive Trashigang via Xangdopelri and Sherubtse College. Visit Trashigang Monastery and town.|
|Day 4||Visit GomKora, Rangjung library, and possibly private home.|
|Day 5||Drive Chaling and trek either to Shatimi (8270') or Damnongchu (10,131').|
|Day 6||Trek from Damnongchu (or Shatimi) to Merak (11,480’).|
|Day 7||Day in Merak with the villagers.|
|Day 8||Trek over Nachungla Pass (14,500') to Miksa Teng (9,400').|
|Day 9||Trek to Sakteng (9,850’).|
|Day 10||Trek downhill to Jyonkhar Teng (6,100’).|
|Day 11||Trek first to Phongmey and then to Radhi with its textiles, and on to Trashigang.|
|Day 12||Drive Bumthang, stopping in Senghor.|
|Day 13||Visit Jakar Valley. Fall – Attend Jakar Festival.|
|Day 14||Drive to Punakha, stopping in Trongsa to see the museum and town.|
|Day 15||Visit Chimi Lhakang and Punakha Dong. PM short drive to Thimphu.|
|Day 16||Tour Thimphu – Memorial Chorten, Weekend Market, Textile Museum, Papermaking, Zuleta Nunnery. Drive Paro, possibly via Sisina.|
|Day 17||Visit Taktsang and Kyichu Monasteries. Farewell dinner.|
|Day 18||Transfer to airport for flight out.|