China's Silk Road: Mummies, Deserts, Caves and Markets
Imagine departing Xian in a camel caravan laden with silk, spices, incense and gems for the far-away Mediterranean. Your path will not take you all the way to Italy, but only to the border with the Stans. You can see the famous terra cotta soldiers of Xian, drive across the menacing Taklimakan Desert, explore the oasis towns of Turfan, Kuqa, and Hotan, spend a day with the nomads near the Heavenly Lake, shop the famous Sunday Market in exotic Hotan (far better than Kashgar today), and mingle with the people of Xinjiang - Uighurs, Kazaks, Tajiks and others.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $7225.00 per person (based on 4-6 people)
Dates: Friday, May 8, 2015 - Sunday, May 24, 2015 and Friday, September 11, 2015 - Sunday, September 27, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive in Beijing|
|Day 2||Fly to Xian; Visit the Terracotta Soldier and Horse Museum; Explore the Muslim Quarter|
|Day 3||Tour Xian including Little Goose Pagoda, Big White Goose Pagoda, Shaanxi Museum|
|Day 4||Fly to Dunhuang; Drive out to Crescent Lake and the Gobi Desert|
|Day 5||Visit the Dunhuang Grotto Art and Mogao Grottos; Board an overnight sleeper train to Turpan|
|Day 6||Explore the ruins of Gaochang, Huoyan Shan and Bazelik Thousand Buddha Caves|
|Day 7||Wander the market, visit the Emin Minaret, the Jiaohe Ruins and a few grape farms|
|Day 8||Head west to Urumqi and visit the Xinjiang Autonomous Region Museum; Fly to Hotan|
|Day 9||Hike in the desert out to the Rawak Pagoda or explore the town|
|Day 10||Head to Mingfeng; Stop in Yu Tien for the market and visit the mosque|
|Day 11||Drive to Kuqa|
|Day 12||Explore Kizil Caves and the Kezikalahan War Signaling Station|
|Day 13||Explore Kuqa|
|Day 14||Fly back to Urumqi and drive out to Heavenly Lake|
|Day 15||Morning at leisure and then drive back to Urumqi|
|Day 16||Fly to Beijing|
|Day 17||Transfer to the airport for your fight home|