China's Yunnan: From Xishuangbanna to Shangri-La
Yunnan is a beautiful place to visit in the spring, summer, fall and winter. The province has a myriad of ethnic groups and lush, tropical scenery. On this unique view of Yunnan, you begin in Xishuangbanna on the Myanmar border, visiting the Dai and Aini people, enjoying the tribal markets with their crafts and embroidery and some of the oldest pagodas in the area. From Xishuangbanna, you head to southeastern Yunnan, traveling the Burma Road to Ruili, the only open trading border town between China and Myanmar. Winding your way through Tengchong, famous for its geothermal activity and volcanoes, you eventually arrive in Dali, the historic town of the Bai people. After visiting some of the local villages and craftspeople and boating on beautiful Lake Erhai, you head to Lijang, the home of the Naxi. Here you will wander the old city, enjoy tea tasting ceremonies, search out migrant birds in the mountains and listen to a classical music concert. Your journey will end on the Tibetan Plateau with incredible scenery and totally different ethnic communities.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $7995.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: Friday, February 14 - Sunday, March 2, 2014; Friday, June 6 - Sunday, June 22, 2014; and Friday, October 17 - Sunday, November 2, 2014
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive in Kunming. Transfer for an evening flight to Jinhong.|
|Day 2||Head out past Menghai for full day to visit the Sunday Market.|
|Day 3||Explore Man Fei Long White Pagoda. Flight back to Kunming. Tour Yuanthong Temple and Bird and Flower Market.|
|Day 4||Fly to Mangshi. Drive to Ruili via Wanding stopping at Fengping Dafodian Pagoda and Golden Pagoda. Evening walk to Burma Street.|
|Day 5||Drive on the Burma Road to Tenchong, stopping in Lianghe.|
|Day 6||Visit the village of Mazhan before heading to Yunfeng Shan Mountain. Explore Yuhang Pavillion. Laojun, Guanyin, and Luzu.|
|Day 7||Visit a wonderful old village with China's largest village library.|
|Day 8||Stop at Cemetery of Chinese National Heroes and then drive to Baoshan. Visit Wembi Ta and the Yuhang Ge.|
|Day 9||Drive to Dali. Explore the old city and market.|
|Day 10||Explore the village of Xizhou. Continue to Shaxi.|
|Day 11||Tour Shebaoshan and the Nanzhou area grottos and temples. Drive to Lijang.|
|Day 12||Explore Lijang and its surroundings.|
|Day 13||Visit Laojun Shan or Lashe Hai.|
|Day 14||Drive to Zhongdian. Stop at Shigu before heading to Gyalthang.|
|Day 15||Visit Ganden Sumtsanling Monastery and Ringha Temple.|
|Day 16||Stop in Nishi and Gonjo Villages.|
|Day 17||Transfer to airport for your flight home.|