Usually off the tourist routes, Gujarat boasts remnants of an Indus Valley civilization dating back some say more than 8,000 years, 2,000-year-old remnants of the Buddhist emperor Ashoka, the first British commercial outpost in India and the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi. Known for its silk, handicrafts and fine-carved furniture, Gujarat is one of the premier craft destinations in India. This special trip travels through the eastern mainland region and cities of Ahmedabad and Surat, the flat, barren plain of Saurashtra and the Rann of Kachchh. Along the way, we visit wildlife sanctuaries, watch craftspeople at work and appreciate some of the major festivals of the area – the Kite Festival in Ahmedabad and the Vautha Fair (the largest animal fair in Gujarat) - nearby to Ahmedabad.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $4995.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - Wednesday, January 15, 2014 (Kite Festival); Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Friday, November 7, 2014 (Vautha Fair); and Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - Thursday, January 15, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive in Bombay/Mumbai|
|Day 2||Fly to Bhuj and the Kutch Safari Lodge; wander the city|
|Day 3||Tour the Great Rann of Kachchh, visiting the tribal villages along the way|
|Day 4||Visit Dholavira - a pre-Sanskrit Civilization|
|Day 5||Drive to Gondal with a stop in Wakaner|
|Day 6||Explore Bhuvaneswari Ayurvedic Pharmacy, stud farm and Jetpur|
|Day 7||Tour Junagadh before driving to Lion Safari Camp|
|Day 8||Explore Gir National Park and Wildlife Sancuary|
|Day 9||Visit the Temple of Somnath; head to island of Diu|
|Day 10||Drive to Bhavnagarh and the Nilambagh Palace|
|Day 11||Explore Palitana, the gateway to Shatrunjaya|
|Day 12||Stop at Lothal; head to Rann Riders in the Little Rann of Kachchh|
|Day 13||Tour the Rann of Kachchh|
|Day 14||Drive to Ahmedabad; explore Sun Temple at Modhera|
|Day 15||Tour Ahmedabad. January - enjoy the Kite Festival. November - Enjoy the Vautha Fair (largest animal fair in Gujarat)|
|Day 16||Continue touring Ahmedabad. Late in the afternoon, catch a flight to Bombay and transfer to airport for flight home|