NEW! READ India: Nagas, Rhinos and Libraries - India's Northeast (Led by READ Founder, Dr. Antonia Neubauer)
India’s Northeast is one of the most colorful parts of the country. Join Myths and Mountains President and READ Founder, Dr. Antonia Neubauer, on a special trip to this intriguing part of the country and visit several of the READ Centers located in this remote area.
Your journey takes you to the home of the Nagas, Khasi and other tribal cultures, visiting their villages and learning about their culture. You also explore Kaziranga, where one can find the largest number of one-horned rhinos on the subcontinent. Then you heading to Imphal, the capital of Manipur, known to westerners for its critical role in World War 2. Here you can visit the town and two very different communities that house READ libraries. You end your journey with time in Shillong, capital of the state of Megalaya, where you will spend time with the matrilinear Khasi culture.
Note that this is a rather remote area of India and travelers need to be flexible in terms of hotels. If you want to upgrade the rooms, do let us know.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $4835.00 per person (based on 4-6 people)
Dates: Saturday, October 31, 2015 - Friday, November 13, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Delhi.|
|Day 2||Delhi touring and afternoon visit to the READ office.|
|Day 3||Fly Dimapur via Delhi and drive Kohima.|
|Day 4||Explore Naga Villages.|
|Day 5||Drive Dimapur and take the train to Jorhat. Explore the town.|
|Day 6||Visit Sibsagar and visit villages.|
|Day 7||Ferry to Majuli Island. Explore the island.|
|Day 8||Return to the mainland and drive to Kaziranga National Park. Afternoon game drives.|
|Day 9||Drive Guwahati and fly Imphal. Visit to a READ Library.|
|Day 10||Visit market, a second library in a Naga village, temple and War Memorial.|
|Day 11||Fly back to Guwahati and drive Shillong. Explore town and bazaar.|
|Day 12||Visit Khasi tribal villages.|
|Day 13||Return to Guwahati. Fly to either Delhi or Kolkata.|