Sri Lanka and South India: Architecture, Animals, Arts and Ambiance
Although both South India and Sri Lanka both have lots of oceanfront and beaches, grow tea in the highlands, and have a long history of trading and commerce, there are many differences between these two areas. This trip combines some of the hallmarks of both Sri Lanka and South India – visits to Hindu, Buddhist, Christian and Jewish sites from Polonnaruwa to the synagogue in Cochin, opportunities to see and actually practice local crafts, touring with some of the top country experts, a backwater cruise and tme in national parks. When you finish this very special journey, you will have a good sense of two very special countries and their unique place in the world.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $7695.00 per person (based on groups of two or more)
Dates: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - Sunday, March 23, 2014, Friday, August 08, 2014 - Monday, August 25, 2014 and Thursday, September 04, 2014 - Sunday, September 21, 2014
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Colombo. Fast track clearance at Airport. Drive to Wallawwa.|
|Day 2||Fly into the Cultural Triangle, overflying Sigirya, Lunch at Bawa’s Kandalama. Visit Dambulla Cave Temples.|
|Day 3||AM visit to Sigiriya. PM visit to Polonnaruwa and Minneriya National Park.|
|Day 4||Drive Kandy. Visit Spice Garden and Ena De Silva’s estate. Moonrise over Hunas Mountain with the artist Raju.|
|Day 5||Visit Botanical Gardens, Cemetery, Queen’s Hotel, boat ride on lake, Temple of the Tooth for evening Puja, Dance show at Arts and Crafts Center.|
|Day 6||Drive Peradeniya to see station and catch Tea Train to Hatton. Afternoon to explore on foot or by bicycle.|
|Day 7||AM Visit to Tea Plantation. Afternoon visit to villages – homes, schools and markets. View of Golden Bowl.|
|Day 8||Drive Colombo. PM private tour of town with local resident. Dinner at Ministry of Crab.|
|Day 9||Fly Chennai in India. PM Excursion to Mahabalipuram.|
|Day 10||Explore Chennai – Fort St. George, Kapaleeswarar Temple, Georgetown.|
|Day 11||Fly Madurai. Walk around town and market. PM visit to Minakshi Temple.|
|Day 12||Early AM at temple. Drive Chettinadu to visit special mansions with special Chettinadu lunch.|
|Day 13||Drive Munnar – a Hill Station.|
|Day 14||Free Day with car and driver. Visit Eravikulam National Park or Tea Museum.|
|Day 15||Drive Alleppy and board houseboat to cruise backwaters. Overnight on the boat.|
|Day 16||Disembark. Drive Cochin. Evening Kathakali show.|
|Day 17||Tour Cochin – Synagogue, palace, Fort, Chinese Fishing Nets.|
|Day 18||Transfer to airport and Fly Mumbai. Met. Dinner on your own and then transfer to International Airport for flight out.|