India: Ladakh - Trekking, Nomads & Festivals
A mountainous area, surrounded by high hills of brown talus and snowy mountains that stand as sentinels in the sky, Ladakh lies to the northwest of the Indian sub-continent at altitudes of between 10,000 and 20,000 feet. The multicolored mountain ranges are ornamented with monasteries, temples, caves, castles, and stupas. The great river Indus flows through the middle of Ladakh and the capital Leh is at the center.
This fascinating summer trek takes you over some of the magnificent passes and down into summer pastures covered with nomads and their yaks, pashmina goats and sheep. In July, you will also attend the Korzok Gustor Festival, where good and evil do battle.
The trek itself is not easy, crossing passes in some cases more than 17,000 feet high, and camping outside at altitudes of between 11,500 feet and 15,748 feet. On the other hand, it is an unforgettable, life-changing experience.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $4295.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: July 20, 2014 - August 4, 2014 (Korzok Gustor) and August 19, 2014 - September 3, 2014 (Ladakh Festival)
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Delhi|
|Day 2||Fly Leh. Late afternoon walk through Market|
|Day 3||Tour Shey, Thikse, and Hemis, as well as Choklamsar and the local oracle.|
|Day 4||Rafting the Indus from Phey to Nimo|
|Day 5||Drive Rumtse via Chemrey Monastery and trek to Kyamar|
|Day 6||Trek to Tisaling|
|Day 7||Trek to Pangunagu|
|Day 8||Trek to Nuru Chan|
|Day 9||Trek to Gyama Barma|
|Day 10||Trek to Gyama|
|Day 11||Trek to Korzok. Enjoy Festival in July|
|Day 12||Explore Korzok and enjoy festival in July|
|Day 13||Drive Leh via Hot Springs|
|Day 14||Free day in Leh. Enjoy Opening of Ladakh Festival in Sept. Optional visit to Shey, Stok and Matho|
|Day 15||Fly Leh/Delhi. Rest of the day free|
|Day 16||Tour of Delhi – Chandni Chowk, Gandhi’s Home, Jama Masjid and Craft Museum. Farewell dinner. Transfer to airport for flight home.|