NEW! Laos With A Heart
This unique trip is an opportunity to travel and give back to the local people while doing so. You begin by crossing into Laos at Ban Houay Say, where you will participate in the Gibbon Experience, an ecotourism project helping to fund forest protection and community projects. Heading on to Luang Prabang, you will meet with the director and visit the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center, an organization preserving and interpreting the traditional arts and lifestyles of the country’s diverse ethnic groups. You also visit Elephant village, a sanctuary geared at protecting and rehabilitating elephants. Additionally, you have a party with Brother Mouse, an organization publishing high quality books and getting them to rural readers, who have often never seen books before.
Moving on up to the Plain of Jars, your path takes you to UXO Laos, an operator working to clear unexploded ordinance for agriculture, community purposes, hospitals, and other development activities. During the Vietnam war, more bombs were dropped on Laos than during all of World War 11, so clearing ordinance is vitally needed. Lastly, in Vientiane, those who wish can stop at COPE, a provider of prosthetic, orthotic and rehabilitation services in Laos.
Never fear, there is much touring involved – jungles, rivers, cooking, the mysterious Plain of Jars. Yet, with this touring, you are giving back to those who are making your trip such a success and getting to know the locals in a way few travelers can.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $4695.00 per person (based on 4-6 people)
Dates: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - Sunday, March 1, 2015 and Sunday, November 8, 2015 - Sunday, November 22, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive in Bangkok.|
|Day 2||Fly Chiang Rai and go sightseeing.|
|Day 3||Drive Ban Houay Sai. Drive Baan Toup and meet Gibbon Experience staff. Hike to canopy. Zip line to tree house.|
|Day 4||Gibbon Experience.|
|Day 5||Hike back to Baan Toup. Drive Houay Say.|
|Day 6||Local boat to Pakbeng.|
|Day 7||Continue via Pak Ou Caves to Luang Prabang.|
|Day 8||Luang Prabang touring, including National Museum and different wats. Visit Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center with the director and Ok Pop tok. Sunset on Mt. Phousi. Evening Royal Ballet performance.|
|Day 9||Cooking class at Tamarind. Book party with Big Brother Mouse.|
|Day 10||Mahout for a day experience at Elephant Village.|
|Day 11||Drive Phonesavan, stopping at villages.|
|Day 12||Visit Plain of Jars, locals villages, and visit UXO Laos (www.uxolaos.org).|
|Day 13||Fly Vientiane. Visit That Luang stupa, Patuaxi, and walk along Mekong.|
|Day 14||Visit Buddha Park. Afternoon free, or visit textile gallery, have a massage, or visit COPE to learn more about unexploded ordinance.|
|Day 15||Car at disposal until time to transfer to airport for flight home.|