Nepal: Buddhists, Bon Pos and Hindus - People of Lower Mustang
This short but special journey takes trekkers to small villages and pilgrimage sites in the culturally rich Lower Mustang area of Nepal. As one hikes through this rapidly changing area, there is time to talk with local people and learn about their folklore, religion, and day-to-day family activities. On another level, it is an opportunity to learn how the people of a country pass on their traditions to their children, as well as the problems of transmission of culture in a world being transformed in front of their eyes by roads, internet and vehicles.
The journey takes you from the Kathmandu Valley to Pokhara in the shadow of the Annapurna range. From Pokhara, you fly to Jomsom, and trek to some of the different villages along the Kali Gandhaki River in Lower Mustang. Your travels take you up the riverbed to Kagbeni, gateway to Upper Mustang, and then to the pilgrimage town of Muktinath – one of the two most important sites for both Hindus and Buddhists in all of Nepal. Crossing the pass above Muktinath, you trek through the isolated Lubrak Valley, home to the only Bon village in Lower Mustang, and then on to the trading town of Tukche, boasting one of the earliest READ libraries and a great distillery! Along the way, in addition to making friends of the local people, you can revel in spectacular views of Dhaulagiri, Niligiri, Tukche and other sky-touching peaks.
In August, the trip is timed for the amazing Yartung Festival in Muktinath – a farewell to summer that blends horseracing, prayers for the harvest, dancing and a lot of the local brew!
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $3675.00 per person (based on 4-6 people)
Dates: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - Sunday, May 3, 2015, Monday, August 3, 2015 - Monday, August 17, 2015 (Yartung Festival) and Sunday, October 4, 2015 - Sunday, October 18, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Kathmandu. PM walk down Asan Tol, Dhurbar Square and Thamel|
|Day 2||Visit Swayambunath, Pashupatinath and Bodhanath|
|Day 3||Fly Pokhara and tour|
|Day 4||Fly Jomsom. Walk Kagbeni.|
|Day 5||Walk to Jharkot|
|Day 6||Day to explore Jharkot and area|
|Day 7||Hike to Muktinath. Tour. August - Yartung Festival|
|Day 8||Hike to Lubrak|
|Day 9||Hike to Thini|
|Day 10||Hike to Tukche|
|Day 11||Return to Jomsom|
|Day 12||Fly Kathmandu via Pokhara|
|Day 13||Tour Patan and Bhaktapur. Farewell dinner|
|Day 14||Depart for home|