Tibetan Lands: Amdo and the Shaman Festival
As you watch, drumbeats reverberate in the air, men are piercing their cheeks or backs, ritual dances are being performed by men in strange dress. Here, in far off Amdo, you are witness not just to one town's shamanic festival, but those of three different villages - Mayba, Skkyi, and Lhanggya.
Yet there is more on this trip - the biggest stupa in Amdo; huge monasteries with wonderful artwork, carving, sculpture and applique; prayers and salt tea with the monks; not to mention breathtaking scenery. This is truly a trip to another world.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $5395.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: Monday, July 7, 2014 - Sunday, July 20, 2014
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Xining; Drive to Kumbum; Visit the Kumbum Monastery|
|Day 2||Drive Shachong Monastery and tour. Continue to Khamra National Park and visit nunnery. Continue to Trika|
|Day 3||Drive Kokonor. Visit Gompa Soma Monastery. Continue to Chabcha|
|Day 4||Drive Tredzong Monastery. Continue to Tongde (Kwasumdo)|
|Day 5||Drive Serthang grassland. Visit nomads. Continue to Sok via Tsetok visiting monasteries|
|Day 6||Visit traditional medical hospital. Continue to Tsetok and see crafts. Continue to Rebkong|
|Day 7||Visit Upper Shangge Shong and Lower Shangge Shong painting school. Visit artists in their homes|
|Day 8||Attend the Shamans� Festival|
|Day 9||Attend the Shamans' Festival|
|Day 10||Travel to Labrang; Stop at Gartse Gompa Monastery|
|Day 11||Tour Labrang including the Tashi Kyil Monastery|
|Day 12||Drive to Lanzhou; Visit Ganshu Museum|
|Day 13||Transfer to the airport|