Overland Beijing to Lhasa
A kaleidoscope of people, scenery, religions and culture, China truly boggles the mind. This very special trip takes you from Beijing and the sea-level world of the Han Chinese all the way across the continent up onto the Tibetan Plateau at more than 11,400 feet and then back to the coastal city of Shanghai.
Along the way you will visit a myriad of world heritage sites from the Forbidden City and the Great Wall to the Terracotta Warriors and the Potala Palace in Lhasa to Shanghai's Nanjing Lu. You will come in contact with farmers, Khampas, monks and many many others. This is a true adventure crisscrossing the vast continent of Asia.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $7295.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - Sunday, July 20, 2014 and Saturday, August 16, 2014 - Sunday, August 31, 2014
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Beijing|
|Day 2||Visit the Temple of Heaven Forbidden City and Hutongs|
|Day 3||Wander the Great Wall, Gymnastic school, and Lama Temple. Evening train to Xian (T4leaving at 2048)|
|Day 4||Arrive Xian at 0900. Terracotta Warriors, Big and Little Goose Pagodas, Tang Dynasty show and Dumpling dinner|
|Day 5||Morning sightseeing in Xian. PM flight to Lanzhou on ZH 955(1420/1520) and drive to Liujaxia.|
|Day 6||Speedboat to Binglingsi Grottoes. Drive Xiahe for Labrang Monastery|
|Day 7||Sightseeing in Labrang. Drive Xining.|
|Day 8||Visit Kumbum Monastery.oard soft sleeper for Lhasa leaving at 220|
|Day 9||Full day on train. Arrive Lhasa at 214|
|Day 10||Visit the Jokhang, Potala and Sera|
|Day 11||Phabonkha, the Norbulinkha and Ranoche|
|Day 12||Drive to Gyantse|
|Day 13||Kumbum, Monastery. Drive Shigatse via Shalu|
|Day 14||Tashilumpo Monastery, Kora, Tibetan Market|
|Day 15||Drive Lhasa Via Drepung Monastery|
|Day 16||Free day in Lhasa until PM flight to Beijing|