Trekking the Monasteries of Tibet
Your journey begins where Buddhism began in Tibet - the Tsetang region, east of Lhasa. Explore one of the oldest Nyingma-pa monasteries, Samye - a model of the Buddhist universe, and the meditation caves that served the likes of Guru Rimpoche and the 5th Dalai Lama. The trail, with lakes, meadows, tiny villages, and nomad camps takes you to the holy Guru Rimpoche cave of Chimpu. Stop at Lake Nam Tso, spend two nights in Reteng, then stop at Ganden on your way back to Lhasa. This is a trip of monks, monasteries and more salt tea than you imagined possible.
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $5495.00 per person (based on groups of four or more)
Dates: Saturday, July 5, 2014 - Sunday, July 20, 2014 and Saturday, August 2, 2014 - Sunday, August 17, 2014
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive Beijing|
|Day 2||Fly to Lhasa (About 5.hours); Slow walk around Jokhang and evening service at Ranoche|
|Day 3||Visit Jokhang, Potala, Norbulinkha and Lhukhang,|
|Day 4||Visit Phabonkha and Sera|
|Day 5||Drive Lhasa to Lake Nam Tso (About hours)|
|Day 6||Explore Lake Nam Tso|
|Day 7||Drive Nam Tso to Reteng Monastery (About hours)|
|Day 8||Explore Reteng and do the kora around it|
|Day 9||Drive Reteng to Ganden (about 2.hours) and on to Drupshi. Trek to herders camp (About hours)|
|Day 10||Trek Herder camp to valley beyond Zukur La Pass (About 6-hours)|
|Day 11||Trek meadow camp across Chetur La down to the Drokpa Camp (About 6-hours)|
|Day 12||Trek Drokpa Camp to Yamalung Meadows (About hours)|
|Day 13||Trek Yamalung Meadow to Nyengo Village. Drive Chimpu and hike to cave. (About 1.hours walking)|
|Day 14||Hike to Samye and visit monastery. Drive Tsetang (1/hour)|
|Day 15||Visit Yombulakhang and Valley of the Kings. Return to Lhasa (hours)|
|Day 16||Free until time to fly to Beijing|