China to Vietnam: Ethnic People of the Border
Although this trip from North Vietnam to the base of the Tibetan Plateau in China seems like the ultimate in adventure, curious people of all ages and physical abilities can enjoy this most unusual program. The itinerary certainly takes you off the beaten track, but the trip is not difficult. The travelers you meet, the scenery, and the variety of cultures make this the vacation of a lifetime. Beginning in Hanoi, you will head up north to the hill tribe towns of Sa Pa and Bac Ha in time to visit the villages and enjoy the less visited Coc Ly Market. Then, crossing the border between Vietnam and China by car, you will head to Kunming, stopping in rarely visited villages and visiting the third largest Confucian temple in China. A flight takes you to Dali and on to Lijang, to see the Bai and Naxi of the area. After exploring Lijang, you head north to the Tibetan plateau to Gyalthang, the area aptly named by the Chinese, Shangri-La!
Dates and Land Cost
Starting at $6995.00 per person (based on 4-6 people)
Dates: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - Friday, May 1, 2015 and Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - Friday, October 9, 2015
Please note: Custom dates and prices available
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
If this trip itinerary isn't exactly what you want or if the group departure dates don't quite fit your timeframe, we would be thrilled to create a personalized trip that matches exactly what you, your friends or your family wish to do. Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams.
So, go back and look at the itinerary carefully. Check what you like and don't like and give us a call. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences. Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
1. Read through the itineraries that interest you and think about what you like and don't like, the dates, other places you might want to visit or other activities.
2. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-670-6984 to let us know your thoughts.
3. Talk with us about what worked and did not work in the programs you were considering, where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
4. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost based on our discussion, for you to review that includes the suggested changes we discussed.
5. Based on your feedback of the sketch, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
6. Review the new program. If it works, we will usually ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
|Day 1||Arrive in Lijiang from Kunming. Visit old town, Yuhu village and Joseph Rock home and museum. Naxi music and dance concert. NOTE: Today must be a Tuesday.|
|Day 2||Explore Lijiang including produce market and Black Dragon Pool. Afternoon visit to Wembi temple and retreat.|
|Day 3||Drive to Lijiang via Shegu, Bend in the Yangtse, and Tiger Leaping Gorge.|
|Day 4||Tour Ganden Sumtsanling Monastery and Ringha Temple.|
|Day 5||Drive along the upper Yangtze Gorge to visit Nishi and Gonzao.|
|Day 6||Drive to Dali, via Xizhou.|
|Day 7||Explore the city.|
|Day 8||Drive to Kunming including the Dinosaur Museum.|
|Day 9||Explore the city.|
|Day 10||Drive to Jianshui, via Tonghai.|
|Day 11||Tour Jianshui including The Sea of Learning Lake Temple.|
|Day 12||Drive to Lao Cai via Mengze, cross the border, and drive to Bac Ha.|
|Day 13||Visit Sunday Market in Bac Ha and villages. Drive Sa Pa.|
|Day 14||Drive Sa Pa, stopping at villages.|
|Day 15||Visit Coc Ly Market. Drive Lao Cai and take train back to Hanoi.|
|Day 16||Arrive Hanoi. Ethnic Museum, market, Old Quarter. Meeting with puppet master and private show.|
|Day 17||Hanoi Touring – Tai Chi on the lake, Temple of Literature, Presidential Palace, cooking demonstration, Quan Ho Singing. Farewell dinner.|
|Day 18||Free day with guide and car until departure.|