This is India, a land that tears your heart and feeds your soul.
India is “a myth and an idea, a dream and a vision, and yet very real and present and pervasive,” wrote the country’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. With the world’s oldest written religious scriptures, ancient and profound medical science and an age-old knowledge of electricity and astronomy, India holds a seminal place among the civilizations of Asia . This rich heritage can be seen throughout the country, from sculptured green tea plantations to majestic temples, lavish lakeside palaces to dramatic desert forts, frenetic lowland cities to isolated Himalayan villages – a diversity matched only by the warm hospitality of the Indian people. Dazzling the senses with a profusion of colors, sights, smells, tastes, and sounds, India is a place so rich and complex you could spend a lifetime exploring and still not see it all.
- Camel festival - Dee Dee White Camel festival - Dee Dee White
- Tiger laying leisurely Tiger laying leisurely
- Colorful woman with bangles Colorful woman with bangles
- Bill and Lorain at the Taj Mahal Bill and Lorain at the Taj Mahal
- Victoria Hall in Calcutta Victoria Hall in Calcutta
- Riding camels through the sunset Riding camels through the sunset
- Portrait of a Bishnoi woman Portrait of a Bishnoi woman
- A great day for a camel ride A great day for a camel ride
- Ornamented drummer in Chattisgarh Ornamented drummer in Chattisgarh
- Tiger Hill mountain sunrise Tiger Hill mountain sunrise
- Fruit market in Delhi Fruit market in Delhi
- Girls in Gujarat Girls in Gujarat
- Ahmedabad Mosque in Gujarat Ahmedabad Mosque in Gujarat
- Sheep herding in Gujarat Sheep herding in Gujarat
- Girnar Peak Girnar Peak
- Pink Palace in Jaipur Pink Palace in Jaipur
- The sounds of Rajasthan The sounds of Rajasthan
- Meherengarh Fort Meherengarh Fort
- Taking a ride on Sringar Lake Taking a ride on Sringar Lake
- Visiting in the shade of a tree Visiting in the shade of a tree
- Trekking in Ladakh Trekking in Ladakh
- Yak harvest in Ladakh Yak harvest in Ladakh
- Aarrti ceremony in Rishikesh Aarrti ceremony in Rishikesh
- Monklet in Phodrang Monklet in Phodrang
- Town beach in South Kovalum Town beach in South Kovalum
- Lake palace gardens in Udaipur Lake palace gardens in Udaipur
- Sunrise in Varanasi Sunrise in Varanasi
- Bathing in the Ganges Bathing in the Ganges
- All smiles in South Kovalum All smiles in South Kovalum
There are currently no available trips, please check back later.
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams. If none of our existing itineraries are perfect, we're thrilled to create a personalized trip just for you, your friends, and your family.
Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
2. Talk with us about where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
3. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost for you to review and suggest changes you would like to see.
4. Based on your feedback, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
5. Review the new program. If it works, we will ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost usually, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it's your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
"India was fantastic! Everything was wonderful and it was truly the trip of a lifetime. I don't think life will ever be the same after this trip. Prashant was by far the best guide we had. He was extremely knowledgable, relatable, funny, and interesting. We became friends with him and felt very comfortable with him." - Audrey
"I first started traveling with Myths and Mountains 12 years ago, and they never disappoint with an itinerary that's unusual and most often unique to allow a greater understanding of the culture and local people. My most recent trip was to India with Myths. They know I'm a photographer and so they make sure they match me with guides for early sunrise starts and late sunset finishes. It's something I really appreciate." - Sarah
Contact a country specialist
Dr. Antonia Neubauer, President
Traveler, humanitarian, and teacher, Toni is the guiding spirit behind Myths and Mountains, and founder of READ Global, a nonprofit global organization dedicated to inspiring rural prosperity by building rural library community centers and seeding sustaining businesses as catalysts for development. READ Nepal was selected as recipient of the 2006 Access to Learning Award from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Toni also has received the Walk the Talk Global Citizen Award, The Friends of Nepal Award, the Northern Nevada International Center\'s International Visionary award, and is the Conde Nast Nepal Top Travel Specialist, Myths and Mountains has also been the recipient of Travel & Leisure\'s Global Vision Award.
For more than a quarter of a century, Toni has traveled within Asia and Southeast Asia, getting to know the people and their way of life. These intimate experiences are the heart and soul of every Myths and Mountains trip, and this is what makes each journey so unique. Toni speaks six languages, holds a Doctorate in Educational Administration as well as a Masters in French Literature, and has visited 60 countries around the world. She has spoken for diverse organizations as Sister Cities, Yale University, The Center for the Study of the Vietnam Conflict, and The Adventure Travel Trade Association, and been a frequent guest on a variety of radio shows.