A spectacular high-altitude region often called the "Roof of the World," Tibet is home to hardy people whose resilience reflects the extraordinary soul of this ancient land and its thriving Buddhist culture and traditions. Sunrise prayers at a remote monastery; holy pilgrimages to sacred peaks; colorful festivals filled with music, dancing, costumes and athleticism; glorious views of alpine vistas, pastoral valleys, flower-covered hillsides and barren desert plateaus - all of these and more make up Tibet, a place where mountains touch the sky and the spirit soars as high as the scenery.
- Chamdo monks Chamdo monks
- Tso Tso Tso Tso Tso Tso
- Pool and Pass Pool and Pass
- Sheep shearing Sheep shearing
- Everest Base Camp Everest Base Camp
- Lake Namtso Lake Namtso
- Milking a yak Milking a yak
- Nomad camp Nomad camp
- Kham horseman Kham horseman
- Boat to Samye Monastery Boat to Samye Monastery
- View of Everest form Dza Rongphu View of Everest form Dza Rongphu
- Karen hiking Mt. Kailas Karen hiking Mt. Kailas
- Mt. Kailas inspires Paula Mt. Kailas inspires Paula
- Beautiful smiles Beautiful smiles
- Prayer wheels in Barkor Prayer wheels in Barkor
- A moment at the Jokhang A moment at the Jokhang
- Jowo Sakyamuni Jowo Sakyamuni
- Potala in Lhasa Potala in Lhasa
- Saga kids Saga kids
- Sera debates Sera debates
- Terdrum Nun Terdrum Nun
- Yak salt caravan Yak salt caravan
- Top of the pass Top of the pass
- Prayer flags over Manasarovar Prayer flags over Manasarovar
- Kumbum in Gyantse Kumbum in Gyantse
- Reteng monks Reteng monks
- Woman and child Woman and child
- Kham woman Kham woman
There are currently no available trips, please check back later.
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams. If none of our existing itineraries are perfect, we're thrilled to create a personalized trip just for you, your friends, and your family.
Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
2. Talk with us about where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
3. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost for you to review and suggest changes you would like to see.
4. Based on your feedback, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
5. Review the new program. If it works, we will ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost usually, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it?s your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
Contact a country specialist
Dr. Antonia Neubauer, President
Traveler, humanitarian, and teacher, Toni is the guiding spirit behind Myths and Mountains, and founder of READ Global, a nonprofit global organization dedicated to inspiring rural prosperity by building rural library community centers and seeding sustaining businesses as catalysts for development. READ Nepal was selected as recipient of the 2006 Access to Learning Award from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Toni also has received the Walk the Talk Global Citizen Award, The Friends of Nepal Award, the Northern Nevada International Center\'s International Visionary award, and is the Conde Nast Nepal Top Travel Specialist, Myths and Mountains has also been the recipient of Travel & Leisure\'s Global Vision Award.
For more than a quarter of a century, Toni has traveled within Asia and Southeast Asia, getting to know the people and their way of life. These intimate experiences are the heart and soul of every Myths and Mountains trip, and this is what makes each journey so unique. Toni speaks six languages, holds a Doctorate in Educational Administration as well as a Masters in French Literature, and has visited 60 countries around the world. She has spoken for diverse organizations as Sister Cities, Yale University, The Center for the Study of the Vietnam Conflict, and The Adventure Travel Trade Association, and been a frequent guest on a variety of radio shows.