Discover Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu is a true wonder of the world, a legendary lost city tucked away high in the Andes. Steeped in mystery and magic, the ancient stones are an evocative testament to the architectural skills of the Incas. But don’t stop there. Peru has so much more to offer, from exquisite colonial cities and indigenous markets to gorgeous landscapes brimming with wildlife and opportunities for adventure. Hike the famous Inca Trail, watch for condors soaring over an Andean canyon, or venture into the Amazon rainforest, one of the most species-rich places on Earth. And most of all, we want you to meet the Peruvians: farmers who will show off their potato crops, weavers who explain their techniques, school children who invite your kids to join in an impromptu soccer game, families who will host you overnight at Lake Titicaca. It’s Peru, your way.
- Starting the Vilcanota Trek Starting the Vilcanota Trek
- Meeting new friends Meeting new friends
- Tambopata Research Center Tambopata Research Center
- Parrot at Amazon lodge Parrot at Amazon lodge
- Sacsayhuaman ruins in Cusco Sacsayhuaman ruins in Cusco
- Ruins in Northern Peru Ruins in Northern Peru
- Nazca Burial Site Nazca Burial Site
- Nazca Lines - Kate F. Nazca Lines - Kate F.
- Guinea pigs! - Kate F Guinea pigs! - Kate F
- The Inca Trail - The Clarks The Inca Trail - The Clarks
- Kids love MaPi - The Armstrongs Kids love MaPi - The Armstrongs
- Colca Canyon - Sally Vihlen Colca Canyon - Sally Vihlen
- Vibrant colors - Suki Pramar Vibrant colors - Suki Pramar
- The Vilcanota Trek The Vilcanota Trek
- New friends - Lori Oscher New friends - Lori Oscher
- Lake Titicaca - Sally Vihlen Lake Titicaca - Sally Vihlen
- Sacred Valley local - Sally Vihlen Sacred Valley local - Sally Vihlen
- Conquering MaPi - The Sonnenbergs Conquering MaPi - The Sonnenbergs
- Llamas at Machu Picchu Llamas at Machu Picchu
- Photo credit: Jim Hammerel Photo credit: Jim Hammerel
- Sacred Valley - Sally Vihlen Sacred Valley - Sally Vihlen
- Pakaritampu Inn - Sacred Valley Pakaritampu Inn - Sacred Valley
- Lake Titicaca - The Sonnenbergs Lake Titicaca - The Sonnenbergs
There are currently no available trips, please check back later.
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams. If none of our existing itineraries are perfect, we're thrilled to create a personalized trip just for you, your friends, and your family.
Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
2. Talk with us about where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
3. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost for you to review and suggest changes you would like to see.
4. Based on your feedback, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
5. Review the new program. If it works, we will ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost usually, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it?s your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
"We had a wonderful time on our trip. We were greeted at every transfer location by friendly and knowledgeable staff. Our guides in Cusco and Lake Titicaca were fantastic...funny and accommodating! Our own knowledge on the Inca culture grew tremendously with every new location. I relied heavily on the detailed itinerary that Myths and Mountains drew up for us and we were very impressed with its thoroughness.The night sky from Taquile Island in Lake Titicaca was the best we''ve ever seen!!! Seeing the Milky Way was breathtaking and the amount of stars was unlike any place we''ve been before. A real treat!"– Diana
"This vacation was truly a “10” on our scale of vacations. We have been to many exotic places in the world and Peru is at the top. Your guides that you provided were outstanding. The places we visited were terrific…everything about the tour was first class." – Deanne and Paul
"We were overwhelmed by the sheer perfection of this trip. It exceeded every expectation. You were right about every single detail, big and small. Your knowledge of Peru was just tremendous. Our guide was amazing. Better than any I’ve ever had. He convinced me I could do anything and I did hikes around Machu Picchu that I would’ve missed out on if he hadn’t been so kind and patient. The majority of our other trips have been to Europe, but comparing Peru to that is like comparing peanut butter to filet mignon. Your trip was filet mignon! Everyone we met was so friendly. When we mentioned that we came from Atlanta, the home of Coca Cola, our guide in Lima gave us a gift of Inca Cola to bring home! This was the kind of experience you could only dream about. This was our first, but not last trip to South America. We will go again with Myths and Mountains!" - Linda and Leon
"We're lifelong fans of Myths and Mountains, so we have chosen them to organize several of our trips. For our latest trip to Peru, we most loved our time with families and shamans on Taquile Island and in the Sacred Valley. And on the Inca Trail, we really had an understanding and appreciation of what Incan life was like. Arriving at the Sun Gate after days of trekking moved us to tears." - Esther and Al