A tropical archipelago made up of over 17,500 islands – of which 6,000 are inhabited – Indonesia is extremely diverse, both naturally and culturally. Predominantly Muslim, the country also has a strong Hindu and Buddhist heritage, vividly reflected in its culture, architecture and artistic traditions. Imagine yourself in Ubud with its vital traditions, on the island of Bali, home to ancient Hindu temples and unique art forms such as gamelan, or in central Java, site of Indonesia’s former capital, Yogyakarta, and the great eighth-century Buddhist complex of Borobudur. Animated markets, sweeping vistas, delectable cuisine and endearing people all add to the mix.
- Bali sunset Bali sunset
- Terranced rice field in Bali Terranced rice field in Bali
- Rice field festival Rice field festival
- Temple umbrellas Temple umbrellas
- Women festival Women festival
- Launching a boat Launching a boat
- Portrait of a woman Portrait of a woman
- Kelimutu volcano on Flores Kelimutu volcano on Flores
- Volcano on Flores Volcano on Flores
- Komodo dragon Komodo dragon
- Spend a week diving on a liveaboard Spend a week diving on a liveaboard
- Komodo National Park Komodo National Park
- Sulawesi hills Sulawesi hills
- Toraja cliffs Toraja cliffs
- Toraja house Toraja house
- Paola Priest Paola Priest
- Borobudor sunrise Borobudor sunrise
- Prambanan sunset Prambanan sunset
There are currently no available trips, please check back later.
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams. If none of our existing itineraries are perfect, we're thrilled to create a personalized trip just for you, your friends, and your family.
Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
2. Talk with us about where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
3. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost for you to review and suggest changes you would like to see.
4. Based on your feedback, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
5. Review the new program. If it works, we will ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost usually, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it?s your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
Contact a country specialist
Dr. Antonia Neubauer, President
Traveler, humanitarian, and teacher, Toni is the guiding spirit behind Myths and Mountains, and founder of READ Global, a nonprofit global organization dedicated to inspiring rural prosperity by building rural library community centers and seeding sustaining businesses as catalysts for development. READ Nepal was selected as recipient of the 2006 Access to Learning Award from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Toni also has received the Walk the Talk Global Citizen Award, The Friends of Nepal Award, the Northern Nevada International Center\'s International Visionary award, and is the Conde Nast Nepal Top Travel Specialist, Myths and Mountains has also been the recipient of Travel & Leisure\'s Global Vision Award.
For more than a quarter of a century, Toni has traveled within Asia and Southeast Asia, getting to know the people and their way of life. These intimate experiences are the heart and soul of every Myths and Mountains trip, and this is what makes each journey so unique. Toni speaks six languages, holds a Doctorate in Educational Administration as well as a Masters in French Literature, and has visited 60 countries around the world. She has spoken for diverse organizations as Sister Cities, Yale University, The Center for the Study of the Vietnam Conflict, and The Adventure Travel Trade Association, and been a frequent guest on a variety of radio shows.