Traveling Laos on vacation
The sun dances on the mighty Mekong, while deep in the rainforest some of the largest waterfalls in Asia tumble precipitously over huge boulders. Peerless craftspeople weave stunning textiles, carrying on rich artistic traditions, while on the enigmatic Plain of Jars giant stone remnants of a lost civilization tantalize with their mystery. This is Laos, where 50 percent of the countryside is still primary forest, hidden Khmer ruins are tucked into thick jungles, and the local people invite you into their homes and lives.
- Apa Mountain elephant ride Apa Mountain elephant ride
- Khong Pha Peng falls Khong Pha Peng falls
- Selling birds - N. Connors Selling birds - N. Connors
- Little Khone Island Train Little Khone Island Train
- Luang Prabang textiles Luang Prabang textiles
- Khouang Si falls Khouang Si falls
- Pak Ou Buddhas Pak Ou Buddhas
- Bird's eye view of the Royal Palace Bird's eye view of the Royal Palace
- Luang Prabang Wat Luang Prabang Wat
- Sharing a meal - N. Connors Sharing a meal - N. Connors
- Good morning! - D. Neese Good morning! - D. Neese
- Walking with friends - D. Neese Walking with friends - D. Neese
- Bolvean Plateau Bolvean Plateau
- Toys can be made out of anything Toys can be made out of anything
- Plains of Jars Plains of Jars
- That Luang Stupa That Luang Stupa
- Dating ritual - N. Connors Dating ritual - N. Connors
- Wat Phu Wat Phu
- Friendly smile Friendly smile
There are currently no available trips, please check back later.
This is not just a slogan - it's the way we do business.
Since its inception in 1988, Myths and Mountains has been a pioneer in the field of customized and solo travel. We know that there's no such thing as "one itinerary fits all," and we're committed to matching your particular trip to your dreams. If none of our existing itineraries are perfect, we're thrilled to create a personalized trip just for you, your friends, and your family.
Our custom trips are not just standard "packages" adjusted to fit your travel dates - they're individually tailored itineraries, as unique as you are. We'll ask you lots of questions designed to help us understand your travel style, budget, interests, and wishes, and then we'll channel all our global connections, in-depth destination knowledge, and decades of travel planning experience into creating an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable experiences.
Here's how we will collaborate with you:
2. Talk with us about where you want to go, your timeframe, travel companions, budget, special interests and travel style.
3. We will send a brief sketch and approximate land cost for you to review and suggest changes you would like to see.
4. Based on your feedback, we will rework your itinerary according to your guidelines. Should you wish to talk with previous travelers who have asked us for customized itineraries, we are happy to give you references.
5. Review the new program. If it works, we will ask for a deposit: 25% of the cost usually, 50% if you are 120 days out. At that point, we will confirm all of the reservations and guides, send you a full packet of preliminary information and prepare your formal, personalized, detailed daily itinerary.
After all, it?s your unique vacation. Invite your family. Bring your friends. Dream big. Then call us and let us make your dream a reality.
"I had wanted to go to Cambodia and Laos for several years and, I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations. It was wonderful to have people to take care of us and not have to figure out where to go and what to do on our own. More importantly, we experienced the culture first hand. This was most meaningful to me - I came away with a real feeling for the people and cultures. Our guide knew so much about his region and he intermixed his knowledge with personal stories. Such a pleasure to be around him." -- Nell and James
Contact a country specialist
Dr. Antonia Neubauer, President
Traveler, humanitarian, and teacher, Toni is the guiding spirit behind Myths and Mountains, and founder of READ Global, a nonprofit global organization dedicated to inspiring rural prosperity by building rural library community centers and seeding sustaining businesses as catalysts for development. READ Nepal was selected as recipient of the 2006 Access to Learning Award from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Toni also has received the Walk the Talk Global Citizen Award, The Friends of Nepal Award, the Northern Nevada International Center\'s International Visionary award, and is the Conde Nast Nepal Top Travel Specialist, Myths and Mountains has also been the recipient of Travel & Leisure\'s Global Vision Award.
For more than a quarter of a century, Toni has traveled within Asia and Southeast Asia, getting to know the people and their way of life. These intimate experiences are the heart and soul of every Myths and Mountains trip, and this is what makes each journey so unique. Toni speaks six languages, holds a Doctorate in Educational Administration as well as a Masters in French Literature, and has visited 60 countries around the world. She has spoken for diverse organizations as Sister Cities, Yale University, The Center for the Study of the Vietnam Conflict, and The Adventure Travel Trade Association, and been a frequent guest on a variety of radio shows.